Suicides in Northern Ireland - did you know?
- Northern Ireland has a population of approximately 1.7 million
- In 2011, 289 deaths were registered as suicides (source: Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency).
- During the period 1999 to 2009, a total of 2,258 deaths were registered as suicide (source: Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency).
- The number of male suicides has increased steadily over recent years (during the late 1990’s and the early 2000’s). The female suicide rate has remained relatively constant over the same period.
- Protect Life: A Shared Vision is the Northern Ireland Suicide Prevention Strategy & Action Plan (2006 – 2011). Click here for more information.
- The number of deaths registered as suicide in 2005 was 213, in 2006 it was 291, in 2007 it was 242, in 2008 it was 282, in 2009 it was 260 and in 2010 it was 313 (source: Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency).
Call Lifeline: 0808 808 8000
Want to help?
Sign up for PIPS Programmes, free training that could help you to save a life.